Moving Towards a Minimal Carbon Footprint Resort

Eco Resort Concept, Earth-Friendly & People-Friendly Resort

Elysia Boutique Resort is moving towards becoming a more eco-conscious resort by implementing gradual changes to reduce its carbon footprint on the planet starting with Koh Samui. We are adopting the ideas of “reduce, reuse, recycle”. Some of the changes we have made are:

  • Organic Garden: In April 2015, we spent 4 months creating an organic garden to supply as many herbs, vegetables and fruits as possible to our Greenlight Café & Bar. We grew bananas, papayas, oyster mushrooms, kale, lettuce, dill, fennel, gotu kola, mint, cucumbers, lemongrass, limes, lemons, spinach, okra, long beans, corn, green chili, red chili, basil, red peppers, green peppers, small mangoes, sunflower sprouts, aloe vera, peanuts, etc. No pesticides, herbicides or chemical fertilizers were used in the garden. In April 2019, we converted 85% of the organic garden area into RAG Live House in order to host live music nights, the Green Market and other events. We continue to grow gotu kola, spinach, kale, basil, bananas, etc. in the remaining 15% that are used in the cafe.

  • Banana Circle: Raw garbage from the kitchen is separated and then discarded into a hole in our “banana circle” in the garden. A water source is added; in our case we built an outdoor rain shower next to the hole and a platform with a trapdoor over the hole. It functions as a shower, but the water seeps through the platform wetting the raw garbage (organic material) below. The raw garbage breaks down (reduces), seeping through the walls of the hole into the surrounding soil providing nutrients for banana trees and other plants to grow in a circle around the hole.

  • Aquaponic Towers: We are also loosely experimenting with aquaponics /aeroponic towers to grow food. We are still in the early stages of experimentation.

  • Rainwater & Well Water Catchment: We installed gutters on some of the roofs and then built a 13,000-liter water tank to collect the rainwater caught in the gutters. We also cleaned out an abandoned well on the property, had the water tested, and then placed pumps with timers on both the rainwater tank and the well.

    Water drawn from the well is pumped directly into the large 13,000 tank. After the water is collected in the big 13,000-liter tank, it is piped to another 6,000-liter underground tank using gravity from where two delivery pumps carry water to every part of the resort.

  • Rainwater Tank Top Planter Box: By reinforcing the top (roof) of the 13,000-liter water tank we built a 40cm-deep planter box and have successfully grown organic carrots and other vegetables and herbs.

  • Use of Refillable Glass Bottles: We have stopped using plastic bottles in all guest rooms and now use refillable glass bottles.

  • Garbage Recycle Station: We have built a trash recycle station and have 4 bins to separate our rubbish into 4 types; Glass (bottles), Metal (cans), Plastic (pet bottles), Other (paper & raw garbage). We will soon add another bin for paper & cardboard. There is a small 140 Watt solar panel attached to the roof of the trash recycle station that provides lighting for the trash station at night. Directly behind the station is a seated area, under which an inverter & 2 batteries are connected allowing laptops to be run by solar power.

  • Solar Energy: We have 10 large solar panels installed on top of the café /kitchen area that can charge 11 large batteries to store electricity for use at nighttime. (See photos)

  • Bio Digester: Bio Digester In November, 2018, we installed a Bio digester, called “Homebiogas”, which is an ingenious Israeli-designed closed system that breaks down organic kitchen waste and converts it to fertilizer, which comes out of one of the pipes on the main unit (left side) and drips into a bucket in liquid form. Five parts of water are added to this liquid fertilizer and then it can poured onto the base of the plants. It’s basically like putting plants on steroids! It also produces methane gas, which comes out another hose that attaches to a gas cooker included in the kit. The system is designed mainly for private home or villas use and can take a maximum of 12 liters of kitchen waste a day. According to the importer, we are apparently the second place to install this unit in Thailand. We are testing it and also using it as a demo to showcase at our Green Markets.




FOLLOW US